William Peace University is a nationally-ranked, award-winning institution located in one of the best cities in the United States in downtown Raleigh, NC. WPU provides a culture that values diversity, fosters an energized team environment, builds on our strengths, promotes creativity and innovation, and encourages inclusiveness, respect, and open communication by leading with our actions. Our mission is to prepare our students for careers in the organizations of tomorrow. The ideal candidate will have the ability to embrace the five core values, mission, and vision of William Peace University. Join our team and see why William Peace University was voted one of the Triangle’s Best Places to Work in 2017! Follow your passion and make an impact at WPU.
Office of Advancement
Purpose of Department:
The Office of Advancement (OA) exists to connect alumni and friends to advance the mission of William Peace University. The OA is responsible for alumni engagement, creating and sustaining community partnerships, friend-raising and fundraising for annual (operating), capital, and endowment campaigns. Our vision is to cultivate a philanthropic culture among our alumni and friends, fostering pathways of support for WPU to provide vibrant learning experiences for our students.
Summary of Position:
William Peace University is seeking a part-time Grant Writer to research appropriate opportunities for grant submissions to provide external funding to the University to support initiatives and programs. The position reports to the Vice President for Advancement. The hired candidate will be a part-time temporary staff member OR an independent contractor depending on experience and qualifications. The successful candidate will have a thorough knowledge of the grant process; exceptional writing skills; ability to work independently with minimal supervision; dedication to actively seek and identify opportunities to contribute to and achieve fundraising goals; strong planning and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple priorities/deadlines; and ability to build trusting relationships with internal and external colleagues and partners.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Become immersed in the mission of the University and develop a comprehensive understanding of the needs of WPU which drive fundraising efforts
- Research, create, write, and submit grant proposals to fund initiatives and programs for William Peace University
- Working closely with the staff, play a key role in the Advancement team’s shared fundraising revenue goals
- Obtain needed documentation, budgets, statistics, references and other materials or information as needed for grants
- Involve staff and campus partners when appropriate in the grant submission process
- Submit draft proposals to the Vice President for review and approval in sufficient time to meet submission deadlines
- Submit grant requests/funding proposals/packages in timely fashion
- Conduct ongoing research for new grant opportunities
- Renew existing grants
- Work with the Vice President to facilitate site visits and cultivation activities
- Work with the Vice President and staff to develop strategies to define growth opportunities and implement short and long-term grant plans and priorities
- Collaborate with the Vice President to define goals, objectives and outcome reporting that is consistent with grant requirements
- Maintain current information for grants in Raiser’s Edge database
- Collaborate with the Business Office to ensure that established budget procedures are followed
- Prepare reports on progress as required
- Ensure timely acknowledgement of all grant awards and appropriate recognition of all grantors
- Present oral reports to leadership as required
- Serve as point of contact with external funders
- Maintain complete record of all grant efforts
Related bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of experience in identifying, drafting, and submitting final proposals for funding from various sources with experience in grant administration. Must have exceptional oral, written, and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with a diverse constituency, including granting agencies, funders, and foundations.